Friday, May 18, 2012

Pizza Mini Meat Loaf Cups

This recipe is from the book "Taste of Home Freezer Pleasers".  Aside from this being a freezer friendly recipe (I know I didn't really need a book to figure out that you can freeze meatloaf, but I know this particular recipe has been tested and proven to taste the same after freezing) there is also no chopping involved.  Yay!

Makes 12 muffins

1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c pizza sauce
1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 c shredded cheese (6 oz)

Preheat oven to 375.  In a bowl, combine first four ingredients; mix well.  Add ground beef and mix well.  Divide mixture among 12 muffin cups.  Bake for 15-18 minutes until meat is no longer pink.  Top with cheese immediately and serve.

To freeze...Do not sprinkle with cheese on top; cool muffins.  Freeze in freezer bags.  To use, thaw in fridge for 24 hours.  Sprinkle cheese on top of muffin.  Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes till heated through.

I used ground turkey, and I also threw in a small amount of leftover shredded carrot we had, in part to use it up and in part to help keep the moisture content because I used turkey and not beef.  I did not measure the Italian seasoning and I'm sure I used more than 1/2 tsp. You can also bake the cheese inside the meatloaf muffin, but I used an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups and didn't want to mess with re-shaping the muffin. 

I make my own pizza sauce...I heated the same amount of tomato sauce and threw in Italian seasoning (which I once again did not measure).

I made mashed potatoes to go with the meat muffins.  I used Yukon golds, unpeeled, and mashed them with garlic powder, chicken buillon granules, pepper, and sour cream.  I admit I don't measure anything when I make them, but I will guestimate I use about 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder, a couple tablespoons of the granules, a few grinds of the pepper mill, and about 1/2 c of sour cream. 

2 comments:

  1. Man, sounds like I missed out on something tasty! I'll be glad when we're through with the end-of-year activities... it's getting kind of silly. I'm going to try out this recipe, it sounds yummy and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be making them for Sunday, so you'll get to taste test them for yourself.

      Delete